Here at Camp Champions we think it's important to make sure that camp is in great shape for the upcoming summer, but we also spend time giving back to the community in many ways. We take care of our adopted 2 mile section of Highway 1431 by maintaining it throughout the year. We clean this portion of the road a total of 6 times a year. During each of the 3 terms throughout the summer, our Senior Campers go out and pick up trash and make the road a prettier site to see. Our counselors also do a cleanup during orientation. In addition to this, our Outdoor School Staff go out to beautify the road twice a year.
Thinking back to your summers on Lake LBJ, it is also interesting to think about what else was going on in the world
When you bring your child(ren) to camp or come to pick them up this summer, you should think about spending some time in the city of Marble Falls. There are places you can shop, wander and eat. There is also a wonderful art gallery called the Riverbend Art Gallery. The Gallery Director, Marta Stafford, has agreed to donate 10% of any purchases our camp families make to our Camp Scholarship Fund! This is a wonderful gesture, and we would love it if our camp families would support the local area by stopping in at the Gallery and checking it out! We are excited to increase the available funding for our scholarship program!
It is time for the SECOND digital yearbook uploading. Much like the first one, this is a great opportunity to peruse the pages and relive all of your favorite camp memories. Please keep checking back as we will be uploading a new digital yearbook each week! Tell your friends! We want to get as many people as possible connected back with camp!
Flashback to the year:
- Micronesia gains independence from the US. Life just seems different without Micronesia
- Space Shuttle Challenger explodes soon after take-off. The world unites to mourn the loss of true heroes, including Christa McAuliffe, the first teacher in space
- IBM unveils the first laptop computer. It is big, and ugly, but you felt cool if you have one!
- Nicotine patch is invented. 32% of Americans smoked in the 1980s versus 24% now. Maybe the patch helped!
- The Crocodile Dundee is released , leading to an explosion of bad Aussie accents talking about putting "shrimp on the barbie"
- Cheers, Fame, Family Ties and The Cosby Shows are popular on TV. Remember when we all watched Network Television?
- The Houston Astros play an epic 6-game series against the New York Mets for the National League pennant, culminating in a 16 inning classic that STILL makes Steve Sir sad. The Mets would then beat the Boston Red Sox after a routine ground ball rolls between Bill Buckner's legs.
Just to set the stage for the first digital yearbook upload, let's take it back, to the year when
Welcome back to Camp! Over the past 43 summers Champions has been making memories and changing lives one kid at a time. Camp has diligently archived those memories in the form of yearbooks from the very beginning so they will never be forgotten.
Camp Champions is about to embark on its 44th summer and has decided to take the idea of the yearbook one step farther. We will be uploading a past yearbook each week until all of our memoirs are one easy click away.
Join us at Camp Champions from March 12-15 for a long weekend with all the excitement of camp!
Why should kids have all the fun? Bring the whole family and experience camp like you wish you could have when you were a kid. The days are filled with activities including waterskiing/wakeboarding, ropes course, climbing wall, kayaking, tennis, archery, pickleball, group gaga games, pool play (with our 2 fantastic Schlitterbahn waterslides at 150 ft each!) and other lake activities. If any of this sounds too strenuous, you can choose to sit on the over-the-water gazebos, gaze at the view and watch your children kayak or water ski. Evenings will be celebrated with fun activities, live music and camp food like you've never had anywhere else!